• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mileage reimbursement for hourly worker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephnj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

I am in the process of being hired by a CA-based company, as an hourly employee. I live in NV, and the job entails driving to clients' homes for consultations, in Las Vegas, NV. I've been told that there will be no reimbursement for car mileage.

I was wondering if this is correct?

Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

They don't have to pay you for mileage but except for the first trip in the morning and the last trip home, they must pay you for all the travel time during the day. It is considered time worked.

justalayman

BUT they do not have to reimburse you for mileage (you know, like $.45/mile or whatever the IRS allows). If you are not reimbursed, you can take this as a deduction on your taxes.

Heinz 57

They don't have to pay you for mileage but except for the first trip in the morning and the last trip home, they must pay you for all the travel time during the day. It is considered time worked.
I'm genuinely curious as to what you mean by this. They have to pay mileage for driving from the employees house to work and from work back home? Is that what you are saying?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, in NV (and in 47 other states) mileage is not required at all.

The employee does not need to be paid for travel between home and his first call of the day, or between the last call of the day and home. That is not considered work time. However, all travel time between locations OTHER THAN these, is considered work time for which the employee must be paid. It is a separate issue from mileage, which is never required by law in the poster's state.

justalayman

while I understood what you posted, I will agree it is written in such a fashion that it could confuse a person not familiar with what you posted.

Your first sentence spoke, first, to mileage and then changed, sans comma or any other form of separation, to wages.

I would suggest if you had written it as such:

They do not have to pay you for mileage. Except for the first trip in the morning and the last trip home, they must pay you for all travel time during the day. That time is considered time worked.

signed; the grammar police.

Last edited by a moderator:

pattytx

while I understood what you posted, I will agree it is written in such a fashion that it could confuse a person not familiar with what you posted.

Your first sentence spoke, first, to mileage and then changed, sans comma or any other form of separation, to wages.

I would suggest if you had written it as such:

They do not have to pay you for mileage. Except for the first trip in the morning and the last trip home, they must pay you for all travel time during the day. That time is considered time worked.

signed; the grammar police.
Damned subordinate clauses. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">