• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Dependent Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member

Is it possible for a military spouse (civilian) to refuse allowing her spouse (Army) to provide dependent support.

Husband and wife got into a heated argument over having children. Wife chose to move out and get her own home because she was tired of living in the small town her husband was stationed in. Husband is aware that he is supposed to provide her a percentage of her BAH but she refuses to accept any of his money and doesn't want anything to do with him until he is done with the Army. Husband went to finance and finance told him that he could not change his pay rate to without dependents as his wife was still considered a dependent until a divorce decree was produced. Husband has no intents on filing for a divorce.

Wife refuses to allow husband to set up an allotment or even send money to her going as far as denying and resending a transaction. This has been going on for 6 months. Husband only has 2 years left in the Army but was talking about doing a few extra years to get to 23 but wife is not understanding of that idea and is tired of sacrificing her career and life. What can I do as a husband?

some of my peers have said that if you don't send your spouse money it is considered BAH Fraud or failure to provide support rather they want it or not however you aren't authorized to change your dependency status unless it's a legal change in marital status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential