• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military doctor malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cfrman

I am a 26yr old, single, healthy male serving in the U.S.M.C. About 11 months ago I was in a motorcycle accident and broke my left clavicle. The doctor that initially treated me has since been under investigation for the theft and use of medical narcotics. I was questioned on the manner of his treatment and the handling of my treatment by the Naval Criminal Investigation Services. They told me it was already proven that he had indeed stolen and was addicted to a norcotic while he was treating me. Since the accident ( June '99) I have since been transfered to a different base and the doctor told me I had not recieved the proper medical care and sent me to a civilian doctor. Once I was seen by the civilian orthopedic surgeon he evaluated me for a couple of months and found that my clavicle was not healing and was grossly deformed. Thus I had to have a metal plate and six screws put in my shoulder to realign the clavicle and hopefully start the healing process. I have been told that even though I have gone thru 11 months of pain and limited use of my left arm, (on top of which I am a fire fighter in the Marine Corps and have not been able to do my job since, and I was in great shape before the accident)that there is nothing I can do about it because, while in the military you cannot bring any civil action against the military. Well, can my parents? How about when I get out? I am still recovering from my surgery of 6 weeks ago and the doctor is saying that the bone is not healing, which in part is due to the fact of my poor initial treatment. He is saying that he may have to operate again and do a bone graph this time! I would appreciate all the advice you can give!

C

cfrman

My message has 1 reply by it but, nothing is written. What does that mean?

C

cfrman

Thanks for the advice! So I was given some bad information on the "you can't sue the military while in the military?"

The military response to a statement that a member is considering a suit http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons.laugh.gif The military reaction, when you win www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/alien.gif But seriously, the military has some protection, What about in a civil court? Some cases againest military doctors have been won ( Elmendorf AFB, OB/GYN,) 20/20, I think did a story about military doctors and suits- Good Luck, hope the shoulder heals with no adverse effects-KD

C

cfrman

Thanks for the initial advice. Does anyone else have any input?? Any extra advice would be helpful. ie: What type of lawyer should I pursue, military or civilian?
Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">