• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military owes me money and refuses to pay!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.




I am currently active duty Army and stationed at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. My problem is the military is not paying my entitlement to Basic allowance for subsistence (BAS). I am a E-4, married and have a child. I am entitled $230 or so dollars for BAS a month. However, when I went to Officer Canidate School they reduced it to $25.00. This is understandable because I am living in the barracks and eating if the dinning facility. I was injured toward the third week and returned to my unit at Fort Huachuca. I did not relize that I had to initiate paper work to restart my BAS. Nor did I relize that it was taken away to begin with until I got back. I never really checked on my LES (My pay stub) this catagory. The next month I found out my son had autism and it has been very hard. Auditing my pay stub was the last thing on my mind. Now that things are calming down I noticed that the government is only paying me $25.00 a month. This had been going on for 5 months. So they owe me over a grand. I notified the finance office through the proper forms and channels. there response was it was my responsibility that I notified them as soon as a returned from OCS and they could only give 5 days of back pay. This does not sound legal and I think is a violation of my entitlements. wether or not I should have notified them or even noticed their mistake on my LES is beside the point. This is money I earned that I did not get paid for. If this happened in another government organization or even civilian companies the employees would be paid his entitlements once the mistake is discovered. I don't understand this. Uncle Sam has no problem taking money from soldiers if they over pay them and quickly do, regardless of how much time has gone by, but when they make a mistake of not paying someone enough thye don't want to pay. My question is this: Do I have a legitament legal complaint? What could be done if my efforts through military channels don't do any good? Well thank you for your help.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential