• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Retainer Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cookws

After 22 years service in the reserves(6 active)I retired. While selecting survivor benefits I realized that my retired pay will be penalized and lower. Because I receive no benefits until age 60, but a selected survivor benefits to start immediately upon my death, my suvivor annuity charges for the next 15 years will not be deducted until I start collecting the retired pay! Aside from still being eligable for recall (as my active duty retired collegues are) the retirement calculations are the same except the active people get to collect retainer pay and I do not. I believe this is unfair and is there any cause for legal action.

A

Attorney_Replogle

You have no legal cause of action. That is not unlawful discrimination. Rather, that is a clear example of Congress exercising their lawmaking right regarding military retirees. Your only solution is to dedicate the next years of your life to petitioning Congress to change that law.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">