• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military retiree spousal support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shaynalyn1

What is the name of your state? Florida
My husband was in the Air Force for 26 years, and he pays his money hungry exwife half of his retirement pay. I would like to know what happens if something happens to him? Does she continue to get the money from the military? Would she also be paid part of his social security? Are there any steps that I could take to ensure she does not get any more money out of him? Could she sue me at that point? Any information would be a great help. Thanks! :)

V

val_01

retiree pay for ex-spouses

She is indeed entitled to 50% of his retirement pay if she was married to him for at least 20 of the 26 years he served in the Air Force. However, once he dies it stops. But she can claim on his social security benefits as she was his first wife. You have to understand that even though she was not in the service herself, she had to move, settle in new locations, and help in his military career for him to be promoted. She isn't money hungry at all .....SHE IS ENTITLED TO IT!

you can find more information on this by checking out this site:
https://www.patrick.af.mil/45SPTG/ 45MSS/mpf/documents/faq.doc

S

shaynalyn1

RE: Spousal Support

Thanks for the info, that I am just going to get screwed...yes she IS money hungry. You do not know her, I DO. She slandered my name with all of my husbands friends, so that we could not go to our regular places for years all because of her being such a witch. She told everyone I had cancer and was dying...practically everyone in our small town was asking me how long I had the cancer....My husband is very active, and lives life to the edge, pretty much, and is around danger at work. You never know when something is going to happen, and I want to protect myself from that she-devil. Who's to say that she doesn't try to sue me for insurance money or something like that. This is a woman who has never had any desire to better herself, go to college and get a decent job to which she didn't have to depend on an ex-husband for support, which I think is about as low as you can get. She is LAZY and I just think that it is unfair for her to be rewarded for laziness. Women like that are pathetic. I met my husband as a working professional, so I actually have career goals and do not have to depend on an EX to make my living.

V

val_01

EX wive of military retiree

I do understand where you are coming from...as I am an ex spouse of a military retiree and am receiving no support as of yet...even though I was with him 23 years. I helped my husband obtain the rank of an Officer, and am entitled to the 50% rule...however I don't receive anything. I work 4 jobs to support my sons and myself. I have done a lot of research on this subject. I difinately agree that that ex should at least take the spousal support and go to back to college to better herself. However, how she spend that money is her business. Now she would not be entitled to insurance money unless she is listed as the beneficiary in that insurance.

As the first wife of your husband she is entitled to his social security, even if she remarries and that husband dies, she can claim in your husbands social security. Doesn't seem right but
that is how our wacky laws are!

ellencee

Please don't bombard me with hate mail, but I do believe a wife of 26 years is entitled to those benefits. 26 years is a lifetime of being one-half of the other person because that's what marriage is--the two become one.

She doesn't owe anyone an obligation of getting an education, or getting a job, or a dog, or a cat. It's her life now; hers and hers alone. She's not being paid to sit around; she's receiving financial benefits that are due her for 26 years of being his wife.

If in fulfilling her role as his wife, she was a homemaker, more power to her. Homes need someone to be a homemaker and it's my personal opinion that many of today's problems would be solved if one parent would quit work and go home and be a homemaker and a full time parent.

Laws that provide these benefits are necessary for the very 'reasons' posted here--jealousy over what the ex wife is getting. Who would benefit if the husband got 100%--the new wife, not the one who devoted 26 years of her life to the marriage. The husband knew this before he married you and if he didn't tell you about it, maybe you need to ask him why not. If you did know about it, you had the option of not marrying him if his not receiving 100% was such a threat to your well-being.

Before you launch into what a sorry wife she was, #1 you don't know because you weren't there, and #2 those benefits are not based on whether it was a happy marriage, or whether she meets your expectations of what she should have been or should be.

You would be much happier if you quit focusing on the ex-wife and how she lives her life and what money she receives. If the shoe were on the other foot, that foot being yours, you would want the 50% of the benefits to which you were entitled--hell, you want hers now!

There was no reason for you to hide from her slanderous remarks, if she made them. You chose to hide rather than face others when you knew you had been talked about. I don't believe you were banned from going to restaurants, stores, theaters, churches, etc. because of what she said. You chose not to go, thereby empowering her words and actions. She is not responsible for your actions, you are; just as she is responsible for her actions.

I urge you to let go of your absorbtion and anger over the ex wife and enjoy the husband and the life you have now, and I hope you aren't the reason this marriage ended. If you're not careful, though, you may be the reason this marriage ends. Your husband must feel guilty about loving this woman for almost 30 years, and don't kid yourself, they did share a deep bond or no matter what she was like, he would have not stayed for 26 years.

S

shaynalyn1

So, since my husband is helping me finish college right now, and if hypothetically we get divorced...according to you, since he helped me advance my career, I should pay him alimony.

Or is it only for archaic women who are hooked on revenge and never heard of the women's movements?

ellencee

I don't make the laws, thank goodness; I can only imagine the mess I would make--just like I'm glad I don't have magical powers; I think I would give new scope to word mayhem.

If you want to blame someone for palimony being around--I think it was Martha or Maraget or Marvelene Mitchelson who started the trend--over actor Lee Marvin's duty to pay support. This evolved into alimony for husbands.

Equal rights are just that--if husbands owe wives alimony for their support during college and career development--wives owe husbands support for providing the same.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">