• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mini cobra question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taddles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
i have recently started using COBRA and am only eligible for 9 months due to the size of the company. I am concerned that should i be unable to secure employment that offers health insurance for me, let alone my whole family. i am the one responsible for benefits for my family. do you know if, due to the current conditions of the uneployment rate etc. is there a way to to extend your mini cobra? or is it very cut and dry as to the length of time it can be utilized

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the employer AND the insurance carrier both agree, I am not aware of anything in the law that would prohibit it. But there is no incentive for either the employer or the insurance carrier to agree.

If you're looking for a way for the former employee to request an extension where the employer/insurance carrier must comply, there isn't one.

taddles

am i understanding correctly that the mini cobra of 9 months time limit may (or already is) will be extended to a 15 month time frame?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My source, as recently as April 26, 2010, shows nothing about an extension to the mini-COBRA in PA. If you are in the western part of the state you may have heard something about an extension in Ohio, or you may have heard something about an extension to the Federal subsidy for regular COBRA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">