• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Accident at home...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Florida

Good afternoon! A quick summary here if I may:

In front of my apartment there is a small feeder street into our parking lot. This feeder street takes a very sharp left turn (as in, 90 degree turn) as you are rounding into the parking lot itself. The street is very narrow, just enough for two medium sized vehicles to pass each other. What's more, a bush obstructs much of the view of any oncoming traffic, making it difficult to see if there is any traffic heading out while you are making the turn in. This street, at noon today, was not a one-way street.

Today, at around noon, one of my neighbors and I had a minor fender-bender resulting in a bit of damage to our front-left fenders. We attempted to avoid each other, but simply couldn't, even driving at 7-10 mph. We simply didn't see each other until it was too late. We called the Miami-Dade police department, and reported the accident. (There were no injuries by the way...) When the officer arrived, she gave us the option of simply settling the issue ourselves, which we decided to do. We exchanged information, and parted ways as friends.

Upon arriving at the apartment this evening after work, I noticed there were yellow arrows now painted on the road indicating a one-way street. The arrows were not there at noon today, nor were they there at any time over the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong here, I think it needed to be done and today's incident proved that point. However, the question I would like to pose is:

Can the apartment/condominium complex be held liable for damages that took place at this particular turn? They are the organization that maintain the landscaping and traffic signs/street conditions inside the fenced complex. I'm not out for money or repairations even, but I would like to know out of personal curiosity.

Should I seek legal council regarding this issue?

Thanks so much for everyone's help in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential