• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor As Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

insuranceneeds

What is the name of your state?undefinedThe state my ex-husband passed in was Wisconsin, we live in Kansas. He named my son as beneficiary. We rec'd a letter from the insurance company saying that they would not release the funds to a minor or to his parent or legal guardian since I am not the beneficiary. However, if I want to go through the lenghty and expensive process to get a one-time court order obtaining guardianship over my son's estate or finances I can do that or let the insurance company keep the money until my son turns 18 years old. Is this the true? Is it a lengthy process? Or is it just a matter or me filling out some papers w/out an attorney? Help me please!!!

Dandy Don

Talk to any local bank that has a trust department (or to an estate planner or financial planner, certified) and they may be able to help you with this. What you need to do is to get a trust account set up that will hold the money until he reaches a certain age and then it's his. You or the bank could be trustee. A guardianship may not be exactly what is required here. A trust account prevents anyone from accessing the money other than the intended beneficiary at the proper time.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">