• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor child at reading of will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vandhmommy

What is the name of your state?CA
My ex-husband passed away last week, about 6 weeks before our daughter is to turn 18. He was re-married and our daughter was living with him. How can I find out if she was provided for in his will? I want to know if her college is still going to be paid for and who is executor of her inheritance...and if there wasn't any specific amount left for her, how can I be sure she gets what shes entitled to? I probably won't be there at the reading nor will she, Is there any kind of court appointed attorney for minor children, who look out for their best interests in these matters?

BelizeBreeze

vandhmommy said:
What is the name of your state?CA
My ex-husband passed away last week, about 6 weeks before our daughter is to turn 18. He was re-married and our daughter was living with him. How can I find out if she was provided for in his will? I want to know if her college is still going to be paid for and who is executor of her inheritance...and if there wasn't any specific amount left for her, how can I be sure she gets what shes entitled to? I probably won't be there at the reading nor will she, Is there any kind of court appointed attorney for minor children, who look out for their best interests in these matters?
There is no legal requirement for a 'reading of the will' unless you're watching an old Raymond Chandler movie.

Once probate is opened all you need to do is call the probate clerk in the county where pops died and for a fee, they will give you a copy of the file which will include the will.

Dandy Don

If you were awarded child support and if he had not been current with his payments at time of death, then you can file a claim with the estate for unpaid child support, but I'm guessing that he probably did leave her something in his will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">