• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor child paying child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concernedmom63

What is the name of your state?District of Columbia

What are the laws in my state regarding a minor child ability to pay child support. Who is legally responsible for the payment of support.

Recently, I just learned that my 17 year old son impregnated a 19 year old classmate. They were involved about a year, however, my husband and I were unaware that they were involved sexually. The girl has decided to keep the baby, and we are just trying to prepare ourselves for what the future holds.

We have heard different stories regarding that we as the alledged paternal grandparents may be responsible for child support payments since our son is a minor. Is this true?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

concernedmom63 said:

What are the laws in my state regarding a minor child ability to pay child support. Who is legally responsible for the payment of support.

MY RESPONSE: First of all, D.C. is not a "State". It's a "district", an area, separated from the States by district boundaries. You'll notice that our flag does not have a star on it for "D.C." D.C., however, uses Virginia law.

Your son and his girlfriend are the ONLY people legally responsible for the child, if it's a live birth. Until the fetus is born, and paternity is legally established, your son has no legal duty or obligation to the child.

IAAL

Phnx02

concernedmom63 said:

Recently, I just learned that my 17 year old son impregnated a 19 year old classmate. They were involved about a year, however, my husband and I were unaware that they were involved sexually. The girl has decided to keep the baby, and we are just trying to prepare ourselves for what the future holds.

We have heard different stories regarding that we as the alledged paternal grandparents may be responsible for child support payments since our son is a minor. Is this true?
No. Your son will be responsible for paying the child support.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Phnx02 said:
No. Your son will be responsible for paying the child support.

My response:

Wrong. They're both legally obligated for support once paternity is established. Until then, only the mother is obligated.

When you get your law degree, then you can give legal advice. Until then, you know nothing.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

legalcuriosity said:
IAAL, even if the child (sperm donor) is under 18? Just curious.
(even though I'm sure IF she files for support, by the time all of this comes around, he'll be 18).

My response:

The law does not distinguish between "minor parents" and "adult parents". Each parent (father and mother) has an "equal responsibility" to support their minor children. Both parents are mutually responsible for support of their children, and courts have been known to garnish wages of an underage parent; e.g., garnishing the earnings of a minor newspaper delivery boy.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">