• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

augie38

What is the name of your state? ca

I have full coverage on my car and no minors on policies.

I have a daughter (17yrs 11mo old) who lives 150mi away. She comes every so often and spends time with us. She has no transportation while she is here, so we let her use our car for trips around town and such. Do we have to put her on our policy? I was told we didn't because she is just visiting. Is this right? Thanks.....Augie

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

augie38 said:
What is the name of your state? ca

I have full coverage on my car and no minors on policies.

I have a daughter (17yrs 11mo old) who lives 150mi away. She comes every so often and spends time with us. She has no transportation while she is here, so we let her use our car for trips around town and such. Do we have to put her on our policy? I was told we didn't because she is just visiting. Is this right? Thanks.....Augie

My response:

The basic definition of a "Permissive User" is one who uses a non-owned vehicle. However, whether or not your daughter is covered, and to what extent, and how the term "permissive user" is defined, can only be found in your insurance policy. Some companies have differing definitions, that include anything from complete exclusion, to time elements, to decreased coverage.

Please read your Declaration page, and your policy, very carefully to determine how this is treated. If you have any questions, consult your agent or your insurance company directly.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">