• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor living on own with parental consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
For the record, I just went to the state website and established that it is the residency of the STUDENT, not the parent, that matters in Iowa. If the STUDENT is residing within the school district, that's all that matters on a state-wide basis.

So can we please put this entire issue of tuition to bed?

HRZ

Well the Iowa site I referenced addresses a presumption that a child's residency if that of his or her parents . ( as it is in my state too)

But what I did also,see in one districts policy manual was reference to yet another district application form for extension /completion of year when parents needed to move away.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
(bang head here). All right. Let it be understood that the parents may need to pay tuition if they are not themselves resident in the school district.

Now that we have resolved that earth-shattering fact, can we move on to other issues that the OP may need to think about as he makes his decisions and plans?

adjusterjack

I actually would not do that. I would not poke the sleeping bear. Schools are generally very good about students being able to finish out their senior year, but it may be one of those unspoken things that the school would prefer not to officially know about. If mom and dad are keeping their same cell phones/numbers then it will be easy for the school to contact mom and dad and then mom and dad can delegate as needed.
Gee, what else would you have people conceal from schools, authorities, insurance companies, taxing agencies etc, etc? Where will you be when the crap hits the fan and the consequences fall on them?

Horrible advice.

quincy

Oh my dear sweet Lord.

Pot, meet kettle.
I think your pot meet kettle remark was misdirected. Adjusterjack was being critical of LdiJ's post (and rightly so).

The 17-year-old can finish out his senior year with a host family with the consent of his parents. There are other factors to consider but that is the answer to the question asked.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I don't think it was at all misdirected, and I know what Jack was saying. I agree with Jack that LdiJ's post was terrible advice, but there have been several dozen times in our twenty or so years of forum-ing together that I have had to point out to Jack that it was very easy for him to advise a poster to take such-and-such an action at work, when Jack wouldn't be the one who then got fired and, in many cases, disqualified for unemployment. In light of that, his "where would you be" comment triggered my response.

quincy

Okay. So you did not have any issue with adjusterjack's post in this thread but with other posts that have been written in the past. Thanks for clarifying. :)

illini05

I really appreciate everyone's information and help. Thank you all. I have also consulted legal advice from a lawyer and confirmed my plan to have my family and I move away from my 17 yr old for 5 months (out of state) is legal, which was my main concern. I have heard of other families that have been in my situation and they did it and it worked out great. Now I just need to talk with the school and future employer and make sure everything is out on the table and understood i.e., insurance/tuition/etc. If I get nailed for doing anything illegal, I could loose my job (of which I am the breadwinner for 5 kids) or I would at least have to report it and then let the upper ups decide. So no go on that.

quincy

I really appreciate everyone's information and help. Thank you all. I have also consulted legal advice from a lawyer and confirmed my plan to have my family and I move away from my 17 yr old for 5 months (out of state) is legal, which was my main concern. I have heard of other families that have been in my situation and they did it and it worked out great. Now I just need to talk with the school and future employer and make sure everything is out on the table and understood i.e., insurance/tuition/etc. If I get nailed for doing anything illegal, I could loose my job (of which I am the breadwinner for 5 kids) or I would at least have to report it and then let the upper ups decide. So no go on that.
You are definitely approaching your potential future move, and your son's staying behind to finish his senior year, in a smart way, by first researching the legalities.

Good luck. We all appreciate the thanks so thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">