• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor living on own with parental consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HRZ

OP...whether you chose to contact school directly or read the schools policy manual and perhaps administrative forms requirements does NOT take a lawyer.
The question of if your child is allowed tuition free completion of his senior year is very likely addressed in existing policy and procedure of your local school corporation.

My technical point is that they are not by state mandated to provide it for a non resident parent but they MAY as a matter of local policy waive tuition in such fact patterns. ( But not for some other visa issues unrelated to your post ) I am merely suggesting you read the schools own policy manual before you ask questions ..you would be surprised at how many well paid administrators lack knowledge of what s in their own policy manual ...and. " sometimes " give inaccurate guidance .) You don't need a lawyer to do that basic homework ! ( if it's not already covered by policy that does not mean the school cannot vote to waive tuition if properly addressed )

It may be legally prudent to authorize in writing the host person to access the 17 year olds child's eduction records ...absent same , under FERPA , they could not help.

It may be prudent to have in place a limited power of attorney such that host person can act on basic needs including health care and setting of household rules as necessary or use of any car et al .

MIght be smart to have written agreement as to expense reimbursement to host
( but read the policy manual ...in some states they might require that the hosting arrangement be gratuitous , on paper anyway ...why invite " issues")

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have STILL seen NO evidence that the OP is in any way concerned with whether or not the semester will be tuition free. As for the rest, you're hardly raising any new points.

quincy

OP...whether you chose to contact school directly or read the schools policy manual and perhaps administrative forms requirements does NOT take a lawyer.
The question of if your child is allowed tuition free completion of his senior year is very likely addressed in existing policy and procedure of your local school corporation.

My technical point is that they are not by state mandated to provide it for a non resident parent but they MAY as a matter of local policy waive tuition in such fact patterns. ( But not for some other visa issues unrelated to your post ) I am merely suggesting you read the schools own policy manual before you ask questions ..you would be surprised at how many well paid administrators lack knowledge of what s in their own policy manual ...and. " sometimes " give inaccurate guidance .) You don't need a lawyer to do that basic homework ! ( if it's not already covered by policy that does not mean the school cannot vote to waive tuition if properly addressed )

It may be legally prudent to authorize in writing the host person to access the 17 year olds child's eduction records ...absent same , under FERPA , they could not help.

It may be prudent to have in place a limited power of attorney such that host person can act on basic needs including health care and setting of household rules as necessary or use of any car et al .

MIght be smart to have written agreement as to expense reimbursement to host
( but read the policy manual ...in some states they might require that the hosting arrangement be gratuitous , on paper anyway ...why invite " issues")
It can be smart to have an attorney draft the authorization form that permits the host family to act for the parents in case of emergency.

It appears that the parents have already considered, and are already competently addressing, all else that needs to be addressed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">