• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

protectinggeo

What is the name of your state? pa
But I will be posting this in estate law too.
my child(eight years old) is set to inherit dead fathers life insurance. The childs father died and left no beneficiary so it goes to his only son. The dead father and I were never married. We filed for it but now the life insurance company told me they recieved a claim for it from the grandparents. Saying they should handle it meaning the money, for my son. Is this possible they could get the money to handle for my son? I thought because I had all the legal and physical custody of him I would be the one to put it away and handle it for him.
Right now the Gp's have filed for visitation of my son but do not have rights to him yet.

what should i do to fight this?

Betty

First off - usually a life ins. policy will not be issued without a named beneficiary. (though bene can be estate if so desired/named) The life ins. co. has to go by their rules. Maybe the grandparents were named beneficiaries or they were named trustees of the money for the minor grandson. The ins. co. will pay the proceeds according to the policy contract.

Dandy Don

You have not yet received all facts from the insurance company. You need to be asking them now IF the policies have a named beneficiary, and if they do, then find out who the beneficiaries are. If there are no named beneficiaries, then you need to be consulting a business law attorney to represent you in this matter, since the money will then be payable to the estate and your attorney (if there is not already an estate attorney) will need to probate this money before it is paid to you and your son. If you or your son is named beneficiary, then you may not need an attorney.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
You have not yet received all facts from the insurance company.
Further PROOF that you are an idiot.
Hell, you can't even understand when someone says: "Duplicate post. For responses, go to: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=313389"

Dandy Don

JETX, you are the pot calling the kettle black. My post can not be a duplicate, since it has information that she should be contacting the insurance company directly. If you don't like duplicate posts then advise the website administrator about them. There is nothing wrong with a duplicate post--one post will draw responses that the other one does not get.

If you check at the county courthouse and IF an estate has been opened, you will not need to hire your own attorney if there is an estate attorney. The money will be divided up as state law directs, with the priority status as heirs going to your children. Grandparents have no legal claim to this money.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">