• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor moving out of house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? WI
I have a 17 year old niece that is not getting along with her parents. She will be turning 18 in October. She wants her parents to sign a paper stating that she has their permission to move out of the house and move in with someone that is 22. Is this type of paper legal and binding if they should decide that in a couple of weeks to have her arrested for a runaway or have any recourse against the 22 year old for harboring a minor or any other violations? I believe there has been some abuse in the family and my neice would be better off and safer in the other household but really can't prove it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.


ron johnson

My first quesions is .. Is she emancipated at age 18 in Wisconsin?

If so I don't belive there is anything anyone can do. Check with your county attorneys offices,sometimes they are good for free advice. Also if there may be abuse contact child protection dept. in your area they may want to do a intake screening.

Now is the 22 year old a male and is there a relationship brewing or has stated between them? If so the parent(s) may call in authorties or is this a 22 yr old female that she thinks is cool and this is someone that the parent(s) doesn't like?

My final suggestion is ask that she move in with you and you become the guardian, or have the court appoint a "gaurdian at litem", your family court should be able to give you info about this. Good luck and God Bless
Last edited:


Senior Member
A 17 year-old girl not getting along with her parents! Imagine that. What horror; what abnormal behavior.
A 22 year-old that wants a 17 year-old to move in! Imagine that.
Might be abuse? What kind of abuse? not letting the 17 year-old run the household?
Let the girl turn 18 and dive headfirst into adulthood and get a running jump on ruining her life.
The parents have no legal recourse to be anything other than parents of a normal, rebellious teenage daughter, but perhaps you can have something done to them anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential