• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor not covered but Tricare (military) says she is

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mikenflorida

What is the name of your state Florida. My daughter turned 21 in May and not living with me nor in college. I got a letter from Tricare saying she was covered for the full 12 months of 2017. From the Tricare website: Unmarried biological, step-children and adopted children are eligible for TRICARE until age 21 (or 23 if in college, see "College Students" below). Since I am not claiming my daughter as a dependent on my taxes and I am sure, since she has or a had a job in 2017, she will be filing her own, can I get penalized because she should not have been covered past May of 2017 under the Obama Insurance act?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state Florida. My daughter turned 21 in May and not living with me nor in college. I got a letter from Tricare saying she was covered for the full 12 months of 2017. From the Tricare website: Unmarried biological, step-children and adopted children are eligible for TRICARE until age 21 (or 23 if in college, see "College Students" below). Since I am not claiming my daughter as a dependent on my taxes and I am sure, since she has or a had a job in 2017, she will be filing her own, can I get penalized because she should not have been covered past May of 2017 under the Obama Insurance act?
As she is an adult and not in college, you would only be able to claim her as a dependent on your federal income tax return if (1) you provided over half her total support for the year and (2) she did not have more than $4,050 in gross income. If is she is not your dependent then you were not required under Obamacare to provide health insurance for her. She was required to ensure she was covered and could be penalized for any month she went without coverage. Note that for 2018 there is no individual requirement to obtain insurance anymore as the tax bill passed last month did away with that.

Mikenflorida

As she is an adult and not in college, you would only be able to claim her as a dependent on your federal income tax return if (1) you provided over half her total support for the year and (2) she did not have more than $4,050 in gross income. If is she is not your dependent then you were not required under Obamacare to provide health insurance for her. She was required to ensure she was covered and could be penalized for any month she went without coverage. Note that for 2018 there is no individual requirement to obtain insurance anymore as the tax bill passed last month did away with that.
That is what I told my wife (it's not our daughter, but from my ex) but she didn't believe me. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please note that while you are not REQUIRED to cover her, the ACA PERMITS you to cover her until she reaches the age of 26. Although not a requirement, you cannot be prevented from covering her if she is under 26 regardless of whether she is or is not your tax dependent; you can even cover her, as long as she is under 26, if she is married or working at a place that offers her, her own insurance.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Not legal advice, but Tricare advice: you (or she) can purchase Tricare Young Adult coverage until she's 26.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">