• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minors in Photographs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deettek

What is the name of your state? Washington

Can someone please tell me what the laws are in Washington regarding sports pictures of minors. Do the parents have to sign a release for a photographer to sell pictures which include a minor child?

racer72

It depends on how the picture is going to be used. If it is going to be used for a commercial purpose, you will require a release for everyone recognizable in the picture. For news or artistic uses, no release is required.

deettek

Thank you! I am with a youth sports organization and we have some photographers coming to games with the intent of selling the pictures. They do not have our consent (the youth organization) or the parents and we were not sure what the law in Washington was on this.

Thanks for your help.

mostinteresting

Public or Private Land

I am a professional photographer. The key to this whole thing depends if the games are on public or private land. If it is public land, then you may be in for a fight. At the same time, many sports parks are owned by a private company whom rent out the fields to organizations. The photographers then could be charged with trespass.

Also, nothing in any law says that a person can’t stand in front of a photographer. You are given the same rights as they are in a public place. You just can’t touch them in any way, same goes with them. They can’t touch you. If this is done, assault charges can be filed.

Finally, If the photos are used in any way as commercials to promote the company, then yes you can sue them for not having a model release.
It sounds to me as this person doesn’t have a lick of sence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">