• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minors inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

victoria lopez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas (where juristiction is) I am in New Mexico.

Our sister died December of 2009 and left behind two minor children. She had a life insurance policy through her employment. How ever, the children did not get the money and, the funeral home has not been paid nor, the plot.

She was married at fifteen for a brief period to a boy seventeen. A few years later he joined the military and wanted to marry another young lady which required an annulment from our sister who was now, herself with another man and had these two minors out of that union. They never married and, were not together at the time of her death.

There was a pay out on November 29th, of 2010 and I was told they couldn't tell us who got the insurance money. We are assuming it was the first husband? I was instructed to file with the courts in San Antonio, Texas a protesting rivaling that would allow them to disclose who they paid out to.

Where can you direct me to do my research as we are going to do this Pro Se? Would the plaintiffs be the adult siblings of the deceased in defense for the minor children or, would we ask the courts to appoint someone in their behalf?

These boys could use the funds for an education and could let the courts put it into a trust for them. As it stands the insurance was paid out before the funeral expenses were fullfilled. The plot has a balance of 2,000 and there must be a law against what has happened to these boys. Our sister never intended a man no longer in her life to recieve this insurance money. She did this for her children.

How can we stop this? We aren't even sure how big the policy was. It could be a substantial amount that could provide for her two boys.
Thank you for your assistance and any direction you could send me.
God Bless
victoria L.

Betty

The ins. co. would have paid the proceeds to the beneficiary named
by your sister. Contesting the bene after the proceeds have already
been paid is not a do it yourself project. You really need the assistance
of an attorney. "You" may or may not win. "Generally" the bene named
by the insured is the rightful person entitled to the benefits.

Since the proceeds have already been paid out, the person who received
the proceeds would normally end up having to be sued for the money
after/if you find out who it is. The judge will decide who is entitled. Once
the proceeds have already been paid out, the odds of winning "generally"
favor the named bene who the ins. co. paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">