• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minors Renting in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelenGraceH

As a 16 year old living in Texas, am I able to live in an apartment alone if my parent co-signs the lease and consents, and would this be affected by me having a child?

adjusterjack

As a 16 year old living in Texas, am I able to live in an apartment alone if my parent co-signs the lease and consents
I think that would be up to the landlord.

As a former landlord I would want the parents to rent the unit, pay the rent, and take full responsibility for anything that happens just as if they were living there. Your name would appear on the lease as an occupant but not as a lessee because, as a minor, you could disavow the contract.

would this be affected by me having a child?
Can't see what difference it would make in my scenario.

Why? Are you pregnant?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As a landlord I wouldn't likely rent to a minor at all, but I'd be even less likely to rent to one with a child.

In case this is what you're thinking, having a child does not emancipate you and it does not make you a legal adult - it makes you a minor with a baby. You achieve medical emancipation upon pregnancy, meaning that with the help of your doctor, you are able to make your own decisions about your health care and that of your baby. It does not provide legal emancipation and it fact means what very little chance of legal emancipation you may have had just had the door slammed in its face.

So the answer to your question is, Only if both your parents give permission AND the landlord is willing to agree to it. It is NOT a right granted to you by law; it is a privilege granted to you by your parents and the landlord.

quincy

I rent to students in a college town. A significant number of the students are 17 and I have rented to 16-year-old high school graduates in the past who are enrolled in college.

Every minor I rent to needs to have an adult cosigner on the lease.

Although not every landlord will rent to minors, the circumstances and all facts matter.

That said, I would be reluctant to rent to a 16 year old as a single occupant of the rental, with or without a baby.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree - and my question to adjusterjack wasn't mean to imply otherwise. Any LL would be monumentally stupid to rent to a minor, even with a non-resident consignor (in my opinion).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">