• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mirror Custody order registration (international spouse)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

If CA is the jurisdiction and a custody order has been issued, how does one determine the process to register that order in the foreign country such that if visitation occurs abroad, the custody order from the US is already established and in place. I cannot imagine the US attorney knows the details of registering abroad, but Googling is also a minefield of information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? CA

If CA is the jurisdiction and a custody order has been issued, how does one determine the process to register that order in the foreign country such that if visitation occurs abroad, the custody order from the US is already established and in place. I cannot imagine the US attorney knows the details of registering abroad, but Googling is also a minefield of information.
You will need to seek legal guidance in the country in question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's actually very good, as the UK participates in treaties that govern just this sort of thing. Seek legal guidance in the UK. Not a forum...an actual attorney/barrister/lawyer/whatever they're called there.

Thanks, adjusterjack, I have been Googling to determine whether "registering" the order is an administrative filing where you go to a counter or requires a court appearance, per the advice above, I am now searching for local barristers who can give a consult.

LdiJ

UK, thanks, I should have included that
Because the US and the UK are both signatories to the Hague Convention treaty it is not actually necessary to domesticate your US court order in the UK. It will be enforced under the treaty. However, an attorney in the UK can certainly advise you as to whether or not there would be any benefits in domesticating it anyway. Your attorney in the US may have access to an attorney in the UK who could advise you. Start there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">