• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misdiagnosed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sara27020

What is the name of your state?CT
I am really wondering about a lawsuit here. I have a 10 yr old son who has seen his pediatrician 4 times in the last 3 weeks for cough, headaches, stomache pain, chest pain, trouble breathing, severe ear pain, high temperature, loss of appetite, and all along he had a bug bite with a rash on his back. I told the doctors about the bite, they said "Keep an eye on it." I was told that my son had allegies, and to give him sudafed and dimatapp. This morning he woke up with half his face paralyzed. I took him to the ER where they told me he had bell's palsey as a result of lyme disease. It took the doctor at the ER 5 minutes to come up with that. They did blood work and gave him an antibiotic. He has missed so much school and when he did go he was sent home. He has trouble eating and drinking since one side of his face is not able to move. I am very angry at his pediatrician, who he has seen since birth, for not once testing him or even seeming concerned. I feel as though they just pushed us away and people are telling me I should file a lawsuit, but then I kinda don't want him to have a new doctor after all this time. Then again, why would I want him to go back if they were wrong? What is your advice?

ellencee

sara27020
Here's some commonly distributed information on the incidence of Lyme's Disease: the states affected most by Lyme disease (in order of incidence, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Wisconsin, Vermont, New Hampshire).

Here's the description of Lyme's Disease (progression of symptoms): erythema migrans, the first manifestation in 60% of patients, is the best clinical marker--an annular skin lesion that appears at the site of the tick bite and expands over a period of days to weeks and develops central clearing. Flulike symptoms--malaise, fever, headache, stiff neck, myalgia. Inflamed painful arthritis and/or lymphadenopathy. Limb weakness. Bell's palsy, cerebellar ataxia.

Bloodwork is not always reliable as a diagnostic tool. Biopsy of the skin lesions are only 50% accurate.

Treatment is oh so simple: Doxyclycline or Amoxicillin by mouth for 14-21 days or in more severe cases, Ceftriaxone, cefotaxime, or penicillin IV for 3-4 weeks.

Do you have a valid reason to consider a lawsuit for additional expenses and significant damages (pain and suffering)? By all means, you do.

Consultation appointments for medmal are usually free. Make an appointment at your earliest convenience. Keep in mind that your son needs to continue under medical care until the disease has completely run its course and no further complications are foreseeable.

This is not a mega-million dollar claim; it's not even a mega-thousand dollar claim, but it is worth pursuing.

Best wishes,
EC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">