• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misinformed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juwan216

I had hired an Attorney to dispute a custody case that was brought against me by my ex-wife. I retained him for $1500.00 and my situation is such: My wife abandoned me and my 2 sons, ages 2 and 3 at the time. She came back 1 year later and filed a custody case against me. I hired Mr. Hayden and was informed that my case is very strong and that I would have nothing to worry about. ( That is as brief as I could put it, without going into more details) The day of the hearing my Attorney arrived late and had no time to consult with me instead he told me while walking into the court house that he spoke with my ex-wife's Attorney and the agreement that she and my ex-wife decided on I would have no choice but to accept it; If I did not accept their decision then I would lose the case. He informed me that since we do not need to go to trail then I would need to pay him anything else. I later found out that he was claiming that I owed him 2200.00 more... I found this out from a letter that I received telling me that I had a hearing in front of what I assumed was mediators. I informed them that he never gave me a bill and he verbally told me that I had paid him all that he was going to charge me. They told us to get our proof and come back and this was in 1995. I thought that is was over with because I had not heard anything else from him nor them, but to my surprise I recently found out that he placed me in the Credit Bureau for 3700.00. That is basically it in a nut shell. Important information: The Court date only took less than an Hour because we didn't have a hearing. I need help real bad here I am not rich and I feel as if I was taken advantage of by this Attorney. Anything further as far as information pertinent to this case that you made need from me please feel free and ask

Thank you,
Andrew McDonald
[email protected]

NASDR

P

PamSJS

Dear Andrew;

Contact your states Bar Association and file a formal complaint. Also, write a letter to the credit bureau explaining in detail the agreement with the attorney and what happened. Include the fact that you never received any bills from the attorney. The letter will be placed in your credit file and any future creditors will read it when making a credit decision.

[Edited by PamSJS on 12-01-2000 at 01:01 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">