• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mislead on Used Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SteveCrocker

What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently purchased a used vehicle in under 14 days ago and I just recently found some information on my contract that I did not agree to, at least not verbally. I had arived at the dealership close to closing time, and instead of reading the contract in full to myself, the lady went over the key points of the contract with me, obviously not clear enough. She told me that my car comes with a 3 month service warranty and that I'd have to sign a service contract. I reviewed the service contract and the only charges it stated were a $100 deductable paid for each claim made. However, on the buyer's order, I found a charge for "Warranty" of about $750.... which is absolutely rediculous for only 3 months on a $3500 car that still has everything in the service contract covered under the manufacturers warranty. The dealer never gave me the option to decline this service contract, they said it comes with all cars sold.... nor did she inform me of the huge warranty charge that is practically useless.

The dealer refused to inspect my car when I asked for it, yet I also saw an inspection charge of $10 on the contract for a sticker that's going to expire in february.

Other than that, within these 14 days, the car has already started suffering from a severe exhaust leak.

What can I do about this? I was obviously mislead, and at the time I was probably not in my right mind because my current vehicle at the time coincidently broke down on the way to get the new car, which would have left me and my mother stranded over 100 miles from home if I didn't leave with a car.

In all honesty, I don't want to pay for a car that has already suffered a major mechanical defect within 14 days of the purchase.. so if there is any way to get out of the contract that would be what I would want to do. If not, I would at least like to know how I can refuse this bogus service contract that provides no more than what the manufacturer provides. In fact, the manufacturers warranty is covered for 8 more months, not 3.. and I don't have to pay a deductable.

Worst purchase yet,
-Steve

djohnson

Sorry I'm afraid you have no recourse. The is no lemon law on a used vehicle and you signed the contract. You should have had a mechanic or someone knowledgable take a look before you signed anything. You should also be aware of what you are signing before you promise your life away on something. I think the best thing you can hope to get out of this is a great lessoned learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">