• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mislead

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aiaw123

What is the name of your state? IL

I had a one night stand with a woman who claimed she was on birth control. 3 months later she called to say that she was pregnant but going to have an abortion. I thought everything was fine. Then I get a call the month before the due date saying she changed her mind and was going to put the baby up for adoption. I meet her and signed over my rights to the child. Again, I thought everything was cleared up. Now a year later I being served with child support papers. I feel completely mislead. I'm sure that legally I have to pay for this child, but do I have any case since she lied about everything? I do have a letter in writing explaining all of this from her. Please advise.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? IL

I had a one night stand with a woman who claimed she was on birth control. 3 months later she called to say that she was pregnant but going to have an abortion. I thought everything was fine. Then I get a call the month before the due date saying she changed her mind and was going to put the baby up for adoption. I meet her and signed over my rights to the child. Again, I thought everything was cleared up. Now a year later I being served with child support papers. I feel completely mislead. I'm sure that legally I have to pay for this child, but do I have any case since she lied about everything? I do have a letter in writing explaining all of this from her. Please advise.
Legally you have to have paternity established and then you will have to pay child support to support your child. Does not matter if she lied or mislead you. If you are legally adjudicated to be daddy then you are responsible for providing financial support.

Quite simply if you didn't want the responsibility of parenthood then you do not partake in sex.

tuffbrk

Legally you have to have paternity established and then you will have to pay child support to support your child. Does not matter if she lied or mislead you. If you are legally adjudicated to be daddy then you are responsible for providing financial support.

Quite simply if you didn't want the responsibility of parenthood then you do not partake in sex.
This is why I'm confused...he signed over his parental rights w/out ever having had paternity testing done. Prior to the child being born.

Since he did that, does it infer his acknowledgement that he is the father or establish any "status quo" type of ruling?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is why I'm confused...he signed over his parental rights w/out ever having had paternity testing done. Prior to the child being born.

Since he did that, does it infer his acknowledgement that he is the father or establish any "status quo" type of ruling?
Not necessarily. In an adoption, they will try to get releases from ANY possible father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">