• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misleading ad online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Critical Mass

I ordered an item from Walmart.com, who is advertising a price of $24.39 for a 6-pack of glass ceiling fan shades, through an outside vendor. The vendor says the listing is inaccurate, it should be $24.39 each. They refunded my money.

However, despite communicating with the BBB, vendor and "Walmart Executive Relations" over the past two months, Walmart has refused to honor the advertised price OR remove the inaccurate listing.

As of right now, the listing is still there. Surely this is a case of false advertising. What can be done to either get them to honor the price or remove the listing?

Mass_Shyster

Since your money was refunded, you have no damages. In general, a private party does not have a cause of action against a merchant for false advertising unless he or she has suffered damages due to the ad.

You may want to file a complaint with your state's attorney general, who could bring a claim against the merchant (assuming your state's laws permit that)

quincy

I think the vendor, and not the ad, is in error. The glass ceiling fan shades are sold separately in several different places (not just Walmart) at a price that equals or comes close to the $24.39 price advertised for the set of 6.

adjusterjack

As of right now, the listing is still there. Surely this is a case of false advertising. What can be done to either get them to honor the price or remove the listing?
It's long been established that price errors in advertising are not actionable.

Buy the items elsewhere.

LdiJ

Yes. LdiJ apparently thought better of her post questioning what I wrote and decided to delete it? Just a guess.
Yes, I realized I had misread the original post and deleted my post, but you had already replied to it.

quincy

LdiJ

Thank you for explaining your missing post.
In fact, if you want the whole story I posted that question to you, and then I went and looked for the AD. I could not find anything about glass ceiling fan blades at all, and thought to myself, "did I read that wrong"? Then I went back to the OP's original post, realized that I did read it wrong, and went and deleted my post. After I deleted my post, I saw that you had replied, and therefore I replied to you.

All in all I feel pretty silly right now for even thinking that ceiling fan blades could be made out of glass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">