• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I have a friend who was injured in an auto accident in 1996. He had a lawyer on the case, but the lawyer missed every court date and did not represent him to his fullest. The suit was worth over 50,000 dollars. It was against the county and the other person involved in the accident. The county had pleaded guilty to not putting up road signs. But because the lawyer did not go to court and inform his client of the court dates, the case was dismissed. The client was injured very badly and he is still suffering from his injuries. The accident happened in 1996. Currently there is a lawsuit against the insurance company of the person that rear-ended my friend. The lawyer had to be fired from this case because again, he was sitting on his @##! Is it possible that my friend can file suit against the lawyer for misrepresentation? If so, how could he go about doing so?




I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, depends on if the statute of limitations has run out. If the second court trial is still going on, stemming from the original 1996 accident, then perhaps the statute of limitations to sue has not run out.

To sue the lawyer: your friend has to basically prove that BUT FOR his attorney's negligence/lack of zealous and professional representation, your friend would have won in court and recovered from the city, etc.

Get another lawyer immediately, one who specializes in attorney malpractice. To do this, contact the state bar association and ask for laywer referral.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential