• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed Jury duty 4 times in NYC now have to see the judge.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nyc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york. I'm a full time student in my final year of school and I missed jury duty 4 times since 2010. I received a letter in the mail saying I have to go before the supreme court justice of new york now. Do I need to get a lawyer? Am I going to wind up in jail over this? Letter says failure to respond to summons for petit jury service on the following dates. lists the 4 dates. Then it says be advised a hearing for supreme court justice has been scheduled for this date. And goes on to say if I miss this date I could be fined for $250 and for another $1000 and or 30 days in jail. Any advice for when I see the judge?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york. I'm a full time student in my final year of school and I missed jury duty 4 times since 2010. I received a letter in the mail saying I have to go before the supreme court justice of new york now. Do I need to get a lawyer? Am I going to wind up in jail over this? Letter says failure to respond to summons for petit jury service on the following dates. lists the 4 dates. Then it says be advised a hearing for supreme court justice has been scheduled for this date. And goes on to say if I miss this date I could be fined for $250 and for another $1000 and or 30 days in jail. Any advice for when I see the judge?
You could spend time in jail. You ignored a court order to appear for jury duty -- not once but four times. That is contempt of court -- aka a crime. There may be other issues you have as well. Do not expect the judge to be happy with you. What were you studying in school? Hopefully not law.

justalayman

New York must be quite lenient. Around me once or twice at the most actually failing to show with not even an attempt to contact them and you would set in jail.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In my state, if you miss ONCE the state comes after you. You'll be given two opportunities to either fulfill your jury duty or provide valid evidence of disqualification. If you don't, that's when you're summoned into court and if you still don't appear, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. BTW, the fine can be up to $2000.

NY let you miss 4 times? You'd never get away with that here.

New York must be quite lenient. Around me once or twice at the most actually failing to show with not even an attempt to contact them and you would set in jail.
If you are saying definitively that one would go to jail for ignoring a jury summons twice, you are wrong.

Depending on where you are, he is right. Some courts take it more seriously than others.
I'd like to be shown proof where ANYONE has ever been put in jail for ignoring 2 summons to appear for jury duty in California! The court system is a bit more patient than that here in Ca. ;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'd like to be shown proof where ANYONE has ever been put in jail for ignoring 2 summons to appear for jury duty in California! The court system is a bit more patient than that here in Ca. ;)
Who was talking about CA (besides you)? RIF, Nelllie...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">