• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missouri divorce and custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dam

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My sister-in-law and nephew recently moved back to Kansas to get out of horrible living conditions. Her husband still in Missouri makes good money but doesn't stay employed continuously and doesn't provide any better than a run down 5th wheel trailer in a very questionable trailer park for them to live in. She moved back here to give him time and space to make a home.(feeling if her family helped by supporting her he could save money faster) The real reason for the post is that five weeks into her stay he filed for divorce in the state of Missouri and wants sole custody. According to Missouri law she has to move back to Missouri in order to fight for custody. My question: Is there any way she can stay here in Kansas and still get custody. She has nowhere to stay in Missouri (they moved there to be closer to his family) and she is broke because he removed her name from their banking account only after the second week of being here. My wife and I along with other of her family are trying to cover legal fees and cannot afford to put her up in a motel for as long as the court may take.

Sorry so long thank you in advance

J

jez51

Have you talked to an attorney in your state? She may have already established the residency requirement in Kansas.

D

dam

She will have established residency on the 22nd of December for getting a divorce but she must be a resident for six months to fight for custody in Kansas. I was wandering about a hardship case or something like that (I don't even know if that term means anything in this instance) Just a way she can stay here even if she has to hire a Missouri lawyer and travel (which she will have to do since he has already filed in Missouri).

VeronicaGia

Missouri will have jurisdiction because she hasn't lived in Kansas long enough to establish it. Missouri will retain jurisdiction until neither party lives there.

D

dam

I am mainly concerned with the Missouri law that states she must reside in the state(Missouri) if she wants to fight for custody. This is a problem because she has no money and our family may not be able to pay for a motel or support her and my nephew from so far away(about 500 miles). If someone could direct me on how to find out about her staying in Kansas and hiring a Missouri lawyer so we can just make trips up to see the father and go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">