• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missouri Repo Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toddlee617

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, I have a ?. In Missouri I know for a vehicle to be legally repossessed they have to contact the locale law enforcement and send a letter out stating their intent in the next 21 days. We had a vehicle repossessed and they did not send a letter or contact the law. Now we are behind on payments due to medical issues and planned on paying the vehicle off completely very soon. When I told the repo guy they did not send a letter he stated that over a year ago we got behind and he sent a letter then. He stated that after they sent one letter the letter was good for the rest of the loan time. Is this true? After reading the law I don't think they can do that. If they violated the law what does that mean if anything? Thanks

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri, I have a ?. In Missouri I know for a vehicle to be legally repossessed they have to contact the locale law enforcement and send a letter out stating their intent in the next 21 days. We had a vehicle repossessed and they did not send a letter or contact the law. Now we are behind on payments due to medical issues and planned on paying the vehicle off completely very soon. When I told the repo guy they did not send a letter he stated that over a year ago we got behind and he sent a letter then. He stated that after they sent one letter the letter was good for the rest of the loan time. Is this true? After reading the law I don't think they can do that. If they violated the law what does that mean if anything? Thanks
Did you receive a notice about a year ago, saying that you were in default and had 20 days to cure the default? Did you cure the default? Did you default again?

Here is a link to Section 408.0555 of the Missouri Revised Codes, Acceleration, repossession and cancellation restricted -required procedures - borrower's right to cure: http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/40800005551.html

If your vehicle was repossessed, you have 10 days after the repossession to redeem your vehicle by paying what is owed plus costs/expenses incurred.

Last edited:

toddlee617

My wife corrected me. A year ago we changed insurance co. and it showed a laps in coverage so they repossessed it. I told them at that time they did not send a letter out or contact the law. We made good on the paperwork and got the vehicle back, we have not been late on payments til now. My wife got sick and we got behind. I plan to go get the vehicle back Tuesday. I talked to the repo guy and he said they did not have to send a letter out this time because they sent one out the first time this happened and I know they did not contact any Law. I was just wondering what could be done and if they only have to send out one letter for the life of the loan or each time they are going to do a repo.. I found online that if they violate the repo laws I can take them to court for damages. It would cost me more than just making the payment. Am I on the right track with that statement? Thanks

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">