• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misspelling of a name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was in the process of paying off a charge to the state of Arizona. I haven't been able to pay for a few months due to unemployment. They recently sent me an "Order To Show Cause" letter in the mail. If I don't show, they can issue a warrant for my arrest and/or suspend my license.
I noticed that they had misspelled my first name and I was wondering if that was cause for them to drop my case or at least be unable to send out an actual warrant.
It might be a stupid question but I'd really like to know. Most of the links I've tried to figure this out for myself have led me to websites that were not related.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?


If you're stopped for a traffic offense, you will be arrested, as there is other information which correctly identifies you.

As you sit in jail, you can tell the jailer that your name was spelt incorrectly, therefore s/he should release you immediately.

Dandy Don

Senior Member
SIN EATER is being satirical and/or joking. The spelling mistake is not enough to void the action--they are allowed to make spelling mistakes but that doesn't change anything.


Dandy Don is correct, if you get pulled over, you will go to jail, you can tell them your name is spelled wrong, and they will tell you to let the clerk know.

A Typo will not excuse you from an obligation. Not having a job is a financial hardship, you can't pay what you don't have. Just go to Court.


Excuse me, yes, that was tongue-in-cheek. (You can tell the jailer anything, but your butt is sitting in jail quite rightfully).

OP, you can be arrested.

Clear up your problem by going to court before you get stopped and arrested.

There is no debtor's prison in these great United States, but you can go to jail for failure to appear ... the silly thing is, if you had appeared in court and explained your financial status, the court would probably have let you do community service for the fine or extended the time allowed to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential