• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misunderstood my question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lorid24

I got a divorce and my ex-wife recieved full custody of our kid. I pay $325 CS.

She just now got remarried. I have people telling me that I no longer have to pay CS since we live in Texas. One other person told me the law was changed and I do still pay.

Anyone know where I can see this new law?
I'm looking before I see my lawyer. Thanks.

Also just for conversation, Why would I be required to pay CS to my first kid if she lives in a household that makes 4X what my new household makes. Wouldn't that be the same as the courts saying your first kid is you biggest responsibility?

All this is doing is hurting my new family and giving money to someone who does not need it.

If you got married to someone who already had a kid wouldn't you be taking responsibility for that child? Or do we live in an age where people say I'm marrying the woman not the child. And want to help raise the kid every way except want nothing to do with the financial part.

M

morning_angel

Lorid, sounds to me like you are looking for every and any way to get out of supporting your child. That is YOUR child, not the stepfather's. Why should he be responsible for supporting your child?

If you feel that circumstances have changed, ask for a review of child support. In some states (not all) the income of the new husband/wife is considered in the evaluation of child support amounts, not that the income of the new parent is used for support, but it is considered to be available for household expenses and thus "frees up" more of the parent's income for child support. But don't count on it being a major factor.

And yes, most states do take the attitude that first children come first, and if you can't afford them you shouldn't have a second family.

We don't "live in an age where people say I'm marrying the woman not the child." We live in an age where people refuse to take responsibility for anything they do. You can sue someone else for almost anything, and say that it was not YOUR fault it was theirs. (Smoke for 40 years and sue the cigarrette company...scald yourself with hot coffee and sue the restaunt because they didn't tell you it was hot...)Child support is one of the few areas left that the law MAKES you take responsibility for YOUR actions. You made that child, now her support is your responsibility until she is 18.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">