• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mitchell Lama Coop unit move-out rules

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? I surrendered my Mitchell Lama coop unit in 2018. I have just received the final equity Reconciliation invoice. The coop, Rochdale Village was built during the 1960's. I moved into my former unit in 1972. and lived there for 46 years On the bill, I am being charged for the restoration of electrical light fixtures that were original to the unit along with hollow core closet doors that were at least 46 years old and probably original and a kitchen countertop that also was original to the unit. I don't believe I should have to pay for these charges since the management never did any updating to these original and I at least had updated all the electrical fixtures since the year 2000 with lights from home depot and IKEA. I can't find any information about Mitchell Lama requirements but the move out instructions say that I should return the unit to its move-in condition. AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE CHARGES?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

FlyingRon

You were expected to maintain the interior of your unit over 46 years. You can't just claim "that's the fixture that was there when I moved in." Whether the condition was such that the charges were reasonable or not, we certainly can't tell at a distance.

LdiJ

You were expected to maintain the interior of your unit over 46 years. You can't just claim "that's the fixture that was there when I moved in." Whether the condition was such that the charges were reasonable or not, we certainly can't tell at a distance.
On the lighting I believe that the management is objecting to the fact that he DID maintain the lighting fixtures by replacing them as they deteriorated.

I am not sure what he meant about the closet doors and countertop.

FlyingRon

I think when he says "restoration" he means repair/rehab rather than returning the originals. But either way, it doesn't make any difference in the answer. The coop rules probably require a minimum maintenance level to be maintained. Unlike a condo where you can foist things on the new buyer as-is if he is willing, the coop buys back the shares and can hold you over a barrel to comply with their standards.

adjusterjack

I can't find any information about Mitchell Lama requirements but the move out instructions say that I should return the unit to its move-in condition.
You're Co-operator's Agreement is where you look for information about your obligations.

AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE CHARGES?
Might as well roll over and accept it. My parents lived in a Mitchell-Lama co-op in the Bronx from 1964 to 2007. There are two provisions in their Co-operator's Agreement that are likely to be present in your own:

(6) At or before the termination of this Agreement, to repay the Company the actual cost of repairing any and all injury occasioned by the installation or removal of furniture and property so as to restore the demised premises to their original state.
(7) At the end of the term hereof to quit and surrender the demised premises in as good order or condition as they were at the beginning of the term, reasonable wear and use excepted.
If you feel that some of those expenses were for wear and tear, not damage, you'll have to decide if it's worth taking the co-op to court over it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">