• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mobile Home Park Threatening Water Shut Off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kthomp66

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello. Today my mobile home community manager left notices at doors, as well as at the front of our property threatening to shut off water supplies over night. Our area has been getting between -5 to -40 degree weather with wind chills, and residents have been leaving the water to drip from faucets over night to avoid freezing. Apparently this is leaving stains on the well, and they are now threatening to shut off water over night to refill the wells. They asked to ensure we have heat tape, and to leave the spigots off. Just curious if they are legally allowed to do this? Also, these shut offs have nothing to do with late rental payments. My home specifically is on time/paid.
Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds like this is a maintenance issue - they have given you notice of a very temporary thing they are doing for maintenance (or safety or repair) reasons. Yes, it's legal.

adjusterjack

I am amused by OP using the word "threatening" as if to imply that the residents are victims of an oppressive management when, in the same sentence indicates that a temporary shutdown may be needed to protect the operation of the wells.

I was expecting the questions "Can I sue?" "Do I have a case?"

;)

FarmerJ

My guess is there were one heck of a lot of homes in your community that ran more than one faucet and not on the thinnest tiniest steady streams (a steady drip really doesn't prevent against freeze ups if all that's being done is one tap the same way as a tiny thin steady line, but with on site well water I can see how the well could be come strained to keep up with demand IF too many homes all at once had faucets running a much larger stream all night. ( shutting water off over night wont stop freeze ups , each home in your community should have one of them heated heads the water lines under the house connect to with a indicator light on it you can easily see and heat tapes on the line from it to where it connects to the house and of course some of those homes may well need someone to go under them re check the water lines heat tapes and insulation under the homes for holes where cold air can reach the pipes. AS to management wanting to shut off the water over night , AS long as they give some kind of notice I too have a hard time seeing it to be a big problem if its going to prevent the well from being damaged from too much water being drawn all night long. Fortunately the cold is easing , today we were at a balmy 10 degrees when I got home from work BUT that didn't stop my bathtubs drain line from freezing ( im hoping the septic system didn't freeze )

kthomp66

I am amused by OP using the word "threatening" as if to imply that the residents are victims of an oppressive management when, in the same sentence indicates that a temporary shutdown may be needed to protect the operation of the wells.

I was expecting the questions "Can I sue?" "Do I have a case?"

I suppose “threatening” was the wrong choice of word lol. I had no intentions of making a case or suing. Just concerned about the pipes freezing/breaking/etc. if they did. Our management isn’t that bad, just annoying in some circumstances. I’m just thinking of my own costs if something were to break, as well as how that will affect those who work midnights or have children and need a water supply at night.
Anyhow, thanks all for the info.
;)

FarmerJ

Ok If I were you and LL turned off the water with no notice then I would feel like I have something to complain about , NOW homes that were built AFTER Hud standards were applied to mobile homes such as say houses built in ( I think 78 ) 79 , 80 and on thru the mid 80s and forward may have better insulation in them BUT that doesn't mean the insulation was installed to protect plumbing real well in abnormally cold conditions such as what some areas recently had like where I live too. SO if it is a isolated incident then Id say let it be, BUT be warned your LL could choose to forcibly inspect ALL homes main water line connections and possibly choose to refuse to renew the leases of those who are out of compliance OR choose to install sub metering systems and so you know , metering systems have gotten good enough that they can report so called leaks ( steady running water ) on the customer side of the meter and make every one pay for the water they use OR as leases come up for renewal raise the rents enough to help pay for a well system that can produce and store more water. ( I know exactly how much insulation and how the heat tapes were installed under one of my neighbors homes and when we hit -30 F her water froze up anyway)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">