• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mobile home title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonivg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Over 12 years ago, my brother-in-law and I purchased a mobile home. Since I was having health issues, my brother-in-law handled the affair (he's labelled a genius). Since in Indiana, a mobile home falls under the BMV, he was to transfer the title over to his name. This transfer did not happen. My sister than bought out my brother-in-law's interest and may have received the title. The title was not formally transferred to her name. Recently, I have had the opportunity to have some help through a weatherization program in Indiana (I'm 62 yrs old + disability).

My sister is unable to locate the title nor is my "ex" brother-in-law. The title should now be solely in my name. In calling the Indianpolis BMV, we were told that the title was not in our names, therefore, no information can be released.

I have paid the property taxes under my name for the past 12 years. I was told by our county treasurer's office (elkhart) that a 30 day permit would be issued for transferring the title. I took the sheet to our local Goshen BMV - I was advised that a title search would have to be completed. Because the title is not in our name we still can not get the information.

How can I have the title search released - I was told I would have to go through the courts. Is this something I could do? Do I file some type of petition?

Thank you for your help?

Joni

justalayman

was there ever a loan for the home? Did the lender maintain a lien on the title? Is this is a park or private property? Is it attached to a permanent foundation?

what kind of taxes are you paying to whom?

why would the title be solely in your name if your sister bought out your ex BIL's interest?

jonivg

in response to your questions, the mobile home is not on a foundation. I do pay property taxes to the elkhart county treasurer. (Since the mobile home falls under the BMV, I do not know why I pay property taxes.) It is in a mobile home park in which I rent a slot. The mobile home has been in the park for over 15 years.

My brother-in-law and I paid cash for the mobile home. To my knowledge, there has never been a lien or mortgage. Since I was going through a major depression at the time, he had the title signed over to himself. There is no issue with my sister or ex brother-in-law about who owns the trailer. It is in very poor shape - more of a liability than an asset. The portion that my brother-in-law paid (approximately 50%) was paid off by my sister. My sister has verbally signed off on the trailer.

The property taxes were in my name. This occurred because the property manager told our local town hall representative that I owned the trailer. There was no verification process legally taken to ascertain the ownership of the mobile home.

Hope I answered everything. Thank you! joni

Dave1952

Can you locate the previous owner? He can get a copy of the title and sign it over to you again. You'll then need to take the signed title down to BMV and get a new title in your name. Expect to pay him for the new title in his name. Expect to pay BMV for the new title in your name, a late fee, and the sales tax on the mobile home.
If you can't find the old owner you may need the help of a lawyer.

Good luck

justalayman

I can't find exactly what it is called but there appears to be a "mobile home tax". Since they simply took somebody's word for it, it is what it is.

I guess if I would read better, I would have caught what Dave did:

he was to transfer the title over to his name. This transfer did not happen
so, the title is presumably still in the name of the guy the BIL and you bought it from.

Is he still around? If not, you might have a lot of problems in correcting this.

jonivg

Further info..

The county treasurer's office had no info on my lot number in the park. it was requested that I get an affadavit from the county sheriff's verifying the VIN number. An officer arrived at 6:15 AM to get this information. Why so early? I do not know. With that info the county issued a mobile home permit to transfer the title to my name.

The permit was delivered to the BMV, however, a title search was necessary. I received a phone call from BMV explaining that it would be illegal for them to turn over info on ownership if I am not the person on the title. At this point I wrote to your website because it was going to require some court proceedings.

However, the title search turned up no other owner because they search only ten years - I've had the home for twelve years. By the time I received the search info, my mobile home permit had expired as it is good for only thirty days. Back to the county for a updated permit, and returned to the BMV.

When the officer checked the data sheet on the mobile home, he wrote the model number in the serial number location. The serial number was added below on the affadavit. The title search was completed using the serial number so the officer will have to return and issue a new affadavit.

Please note the Bill of Sale and the title are missing. I am to have my sister sign a Bill of Sale for her portion of the mobile home. It appears that after these steps are taken, the BMV will issue a title.

Thank you for your information.

Sincerely,

Joni

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">