• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of Child Support- Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Butterland

Hello,
Thanks for looking at my post.

I will post simple facts first:
This is in Texas.
My ex-wife and I were married 4 years, and have one child.
Our child is now 9yrs old. We divorced when she was 4.

Custody is 50-50.

Child support question:
In the original decree child support was not decided through the attorney general. In the original decree child support simply states I will pay $300/month (this was agreed on by me and ex-wifes father) as well as provide medical and dental insurance.

The divorce was signed 4/19/16, and my ex-wife has asked the court to reevaluate the support order.

I have always paid the child support and insurance. I now have 3 other children.
I make approximately 70k/year.
Ex-wife reports approximately 20k/year.

$300/month is difficult for me to pay, and it is Texas Child support law doesn't seem to exist in 50-50 cases. If it does, I cannot find it anywhere.
From the standard visitation rules the support order may increase dramatically. I also checked what she would pay me, what I would pay her, and the difference is what is paid process-I found that online somewhere. That still says I may pay more.

Is there any idea, recomendations or help anyone can provide?

LdiJ

Hello,

This is in Texas.

Custody is 50-50.

Child support question:
In the original decree child support was not decided through the attorney general. In the original decree child support simply states I will pay $300/month (this was agreed on by me and ex-wifes father) as well as provide medical and dental insurance.

The divorce was signed 4/19/16, and my ex-wife has asked the court to reevaluate the support order.

I have always paid the child support and insurance. I now have 3 other children.

$300/month is difficult for me to pay, and it is Texas Child support law doesn't seem to exist in 50-50 cases. If it does, I cannot find it anywhere.
From the standard visitation rules the support order may increase dramatically. I also checked what she would pay me, what I would pay her, and the difference is what is paid process-I found that online somewhere. That still says I may pay more.

Unfortunately, you are probably going to be paying more. That big gap between your two income levels is what is going to cause it.

Just Blue

Hello,

This is in Texas.

Custody is 50-50.

Child support question:

Please explain how on earth your ex FIL was able to negotiate a CS order? Why was he involved in this divorce at all?

Be that as it may...there will be an increase in CS...It's been 3 years and you have been paying below guideline support since the divorce.

https://csapps.oag.texas.gov/monthly-child-support-calculator

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Please explain how on earth your ex FIL was able to negotiate a CS order? Why was he involved in this divorce at all?
I'm betting grandpa was willing to make up the shortfall to get the divorce done quickly. OP was likely willing so as to move on (3 "new" kids in 3 1/2 years puts that writing on the wall, IMO...).

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'm betting grandpa was willing to make up the shortfall to get the divorce done quickly. OP was likely willing so as to move on (3 "new" kids in 3 1/2 years puts that writing on the wall, IMO...).
Of course, we don't know if the "3 other children" are his legal children (biological or adopted), or if they're just his current paramour's children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">