• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Iowa

Is it possible to file papers for discovery of wages without the help of an attorney? I have reason to believe that my ex has changed his job (within the same company) and is making considerably more than he did when the child support was last modified (a year and a half ago). Unfortunately, I cannot afford to pay an attorney to do this and have recently filed bankruptcy so I can't even get a loan to help pay attorney fees.

If this is possible to do, is there a website or somewhere else that I can go to print out the necessary documents?


Junior Member
If it helps any I live in PA. I have been down this route before with my Daughters Father. I simply took him back to court (no attorney) for a modification. The state garnishes his wages straight from his pay check so he was unable to deny making more. PA compares both Mom & Dads income to decide on the amount of child support. Good Luck! :)


Junior Member
How did you get the process started? I have read that in Iowa, there has to be at least a 10% difference in wages for a person to be able to modify. But I won't know that until I find out how much he makes and what hours he is working. Plus, I know that he has a lawyer that he can afford to pay and I haven't faired well in the past (even when I could afford a lawyer) when I went up against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential