• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification Question - How do you find out about business ownership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IN

I am trying to help my brother (NCP) with his child support modification. The CP and her husband own a construction business and she also works for another company. How can he prove her having ownership? He has checked with the local Chamber of Commerce and they don't require a business license in this city. The BBB doesn't have any information on the company either. My brother used to work for this company and received a 1099 from them a few years ago, so he knows it is a legitimate business. Any advice would be appreciated.


Senior Member
If it is a state corp or LLC, it will be registered with the state. In my state. the Secretary of State's office maintains corporate ownership records.

But be aware, owning a business is no guarantee of big money, it is just a way to protect the owner's individiually from corporate liability. Many businesses exist that have very moderate incomes. It's just like the misconception that some people have about home ownership - that if someone owns a home (or RE) they are worth big bucks). Maybe, but maybe not.

And most states really base the CS far more on the NCP income. And her hubby's income is irrelevant.


Thanks for your response. This is a privately held company and the wife is a partial owner. My brother is not looking for big money, he just wants the proper portion of any income / loss to be factored into her income for support purposes. He knows that the hubby's income does not count. Support in Indiana is based on the combined income model.


Senior Member
You could also check to see if they have a contractors license. If she is listed on it.

You could also check with the Minority Owned Business Register within your state. It might be a long shot --- but in some cases, the females name is used as the majority owner of construction companies. This gives the company tax breaks, as well as a leg up for government contracts, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential