• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

modify child support/visitation/state jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Military couple divorced in 1996. I lived (live) in Georgia, the divorce was decreed in Idaho. He now lives in California. Would like to know how or if I could move jurisdiction to Georgia to modify child support/visitation.



I am not an attorney, but from what I have researched the state that you must go through is the state that the child has lived for the last 6 months. there is more information related to this and to get a better idea of what the law is look up information on the 'uniform child custody jurisdiction and enforcement act' by typing this in your search engine it ususally comes up with some good sights to look it up on. read through it, long as it is and maybe it can better answer your ?'s. it's a national regulation as to which states have jurisdiction over custody cases. i don't remember if it stated how to get it switched to another state.
happy reading,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential