• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mold in apartment in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jammin

What is the name of your state? GA

I have a problem with mold in my apartment - its all over my clothing, shoes, on the carpet and behind the bed boards...the apartment was recently made aware and have promised to do something about it. I have 2 very young children and I am also concerned about them.

I would like to know what kind of compensation is reasonable - should they dryclean my clothing (those that require it) or should they be replaced ? I have no experience with these kind of things so I am totally lost and I don't want to regret anything more than I already do.

My lease is coming close to ending and they want to increase my rent by $65 - is that fair considering my problems?

Jammin

Any ideas on how to handle ???

I am pretty desperate as the complex have asked me for an estimate of the damage sto my clothing and other items - but I am not sure how to go about handling the whole issue.

HomeGuru

Jammin said:
I am pretty desperate as the complex have asked me for an estimate of the damage sto my clothing and other items - but I am not sure how to go about handling the whole issue.

**A: start calling your local building and health departments, housing and tenant rights office, HUD, EPA etc. Stop wasting time and git busy.

Anything with the mold on it needs to be replaced, not cleaned.

Where is it coming from? Can you tell?

You really need to consider moving. There are very few situations where mold can be PROPERLY irradicated from a residence without removing drywall and basically doing major construction. (Lots of people try to "repair" the problem by washing stuff down with bleach and painting Kilz over the area.)During that process, even if you could possibly stand the mess, the mold spores get all stirred up in the air, etc. You'd really need to move while they fix the problem anyway, so why not just move once and be done with it.

As for compensation.......I'd ask for any clothing, etc to be replaced and ask them to chip in on the cost of packing/moving.

Karla in Amarillo

Jammin

Thank you guys

I appreciate the responses and will let you guys know the outcome and just so others can probably learn something as well....cheers...

Jammin

Mold Update

Well guys - I have called some of the State officies and so far I have only one office that told me they deal with the leak problem and getting the complex to fix that problem. Another office told me they deal with the mold issue ONLY by sending out an informational brochure which they suggest I pass on to the property management. But I am still working on finding out tenants rights and landlords legal responsibility in GA with regards to mold problems.

As for the property management - one Manager told me to get my clothing washed (the washable ones) and take the others to the cleaners and when I give them the receipt - it would be subtracted from my rent. I have not done that - as I was not satisfied doing that just yet - detsroying the evidence maybe....so I went back to them and the head manager told us we had two options - (1) to move into another apartment on the compound and pay an increase in rent or they give us 30 days to move out = all at our expense. They have also given us a dehumifider and told us to continually run our AC and the dehumifider = which means I am going to have an enormous bill - which I am thinking is not good also.

So now we are to meet with them sometime in the next few days - but I still need any advice or informational help anyone has to share.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">