• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mold--moving out. What am I responsible for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vollbree88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I live in an apartment complex and will be moving out. The apartment complex is only three years old but notorious for bad mold problems. The mold tends to grow in and around the bathtub and windows. I have other friends in the complex who are dealing with the same issues. Management has come around several times (I didn't call them) to check the mold situation in all the apartments. They told me to the try a bleach solution for cleaning the mold--which I did. It hasn't really helped or done anything... The only thing that it seems to do is turn the black/brown color of the mold into a gray color. I am not moving out because of the mold but simply because I need to move closer to work. Management told me they would have somebody come in and spray some sort of solution but they haven't done so yet. I've tried to keep up with cleaning the mold frequently but it still tends to get out of hand. Will I be responsible for this? The complex has acknowledged the problem. I have already read my lease over and over again and nowhere does it state that I am responsible for the mold.

My main concern is that I've tried cleaning various spots where it has grown but I can't get it to completely go away. No matter how hard I scrub it, there is still a residue left. :confused: I don't want to be charged for something that is out of my hands--I've tried many different "remedies" but not have worked as of now.

Should this be a concern? Is the complex responsible? They took the initiative to go around to each apartment to check out how bad the mold was--so I figure that is them acknowledging a problem throughout the entire complex rather than just one apartment.

JETX

Will I be responsible for this?
You are responsible for any DAMAGES to the property over and above normal 'wear and tear'. However, I can bet that the landlord will deduct any treatment from your deposit.... and you would then have to show a court that it was NOT damages... and it would be up to the court to determine.

vollbree88

Okay. I've documented when management came in to look at the mold (at their own free will--without me even mentioning it). They acknowledged it on their own and said that it was a problem that THEY would take care of. They also said this to other friends who lived in the complex. I'm going to take pictures upon move out and attempt to clean the mold as thoroughly as I can. What if I clean it and it grows back after I've already moved? Am I responsible for it then?

JETX

What if I clean it and it grows back after I've already moved? Am I responsible for it then?
Okay, let's try this again...
No one can give you a 100% legally accurate answer for EVERY condition.

In your case, we don't know if the mold came from poor tub installation (their fault) or your kids splashing in the tub or your allowing it to overflow or poor housekeeping (all your fault). We also don't know what they may argue as to the cause/source.

I can tell you, with reasonable assurance, that if they consider it DAMAGE... they are LIKELY to charge you (deduct from your deposit).

It would then be entirely up to YOU to pursue 'wrongful deductions' in a court case.

vollbree88

Ok, thanks for the advice.
I don't have kids. Nor did I barely use the shower (I lived a majority of the time at my fiances because he lived closer to my work). Like I said, everyone who I've spoken to has had the same problems if not worse than mine. Just wanted to find out my rights... I'll just see what they say when I do a walk through. I'm not overly concerned about it, I just don't want to be charged an exuberant amount if it isn't going to cost that much.

Btw, these aren't typical apartments. They are college apartments (like dorms). The leases and policies work differently than a typical apartment (or so I've heard). When I moved in I had to do a check list of any 'issues' and included that there was minor mold around the insulation of the tub and the windows. We will just see how it goes.

Thanks.

Alaska landlord

In order to have a mold problem, you must have the conditions necessary to induce mold growth. Three of which are warmth, humidity, and darkness.

Have you tried using the exhaust fan when bathing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">