• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mold still in the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brandyjean

My mother was moved into an apartment 4 months ago, after having to stay at miscellaneous hotels-since MARCH, due to the mold in her home that stemmed from a faulty shower pan. Her insurance company IS one of the ones no longer offering this type of coverage, but her claim has been on-going, so they were still helping. She has been to many doctors and gotten different meds for her mold allergies (as well as my brother),and the insurance company is saying that because the microbiologists said the house was "clean" that they can move in, and the ins. company will no longer be paying for the apartment (which is too expensive anyway, regardless of who is paying for it).
Quality control came to the house, inspectors came to the house, several different types of mold were found....only thing is, they only checked/tested a few rooms out of the whole house. The master bath is completely gutted--just boards and concrete, the biologists claimed to have worked 12 hours of everyday, yet when we go by the house to check the mail, the m.biologists are jumping on the trampoline, yakking on there obviously personal calls on their phones, or just sitting around. They claim that the house is clean, yet in the half bath, there is BLACK mold everywhere---it's like they just took a leaf blower or something and "cleaned" the master bath out into the rest of the house. The spare room where my son sleeps is UNTOUCHED, the master bedroom connected to the master bath is UNTOUCHED, my brother's room is UNTOUCHED, the office room is UNTOUCHED, the kitchen, the living room, dining room, and den are all UNTOUCHED...so basically, I don't even know where else they worked--the only obvious place was the master bath. My mother has footage on her video camera of the before, during, and after phases of the cleansing, looks like next to nothing was done. So, the m.biologist sent the insurance company a bill for $26,000 and said that thier job was done. I think not. The m.biologists will not come back to the house without being paid more money, and the insurance company does not want to pay them anymore money, nor has one of their inspectors come to investigate--even after the Quality Control expert came back and disagreed with the m.biologists by saying that the house was still infested with mold. I don't know if this category is where I need to post this problem, I just took a guess. At any rate, the insurance company is about to stop paying for the apartment, and my family is expected to move back into the house like everything is just fine.
My mother has to wear a mask in her own home, the mask does not help my brother or my son, and they were all miserable while staying in the house...their going back and forth to the doctors offices, not to mention all the other cases in Houston, is what prompted my mother to call her insurance company to begin with.
She is running out of time, out of money (as we have no health insurance), and obviously running out of patience. She has been contacting attorneys regarding this matter, but so far, the ones contacted will not help unless some one is extremely ill or dying. And I guess that the insurance company does not understand that if my family moves back in and they do become extremely ill, there will be a HUGE lawsuit. My family CANNOT go back into that house as long as it remains in its current condition---their health is TOO important. Any advice or caution or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Belongings that the m.biologists say have mold in them (ie shoes) are all stuffed into a plastic garbage bag in the unconnected garage--all shoes, whether mold was on one or two pairs, there are about 20 pairs in the bag, all of our belongings: books, clothes, family albums, family "heirlooms", toys, blankets, sheets, pillowcases, towels, EVERYTHING except for the actual furniture. My family has been living out of their 5 suitcases, and that's all they have. All the information that we get comes from the insurance company, not from the microbiologists themselves---the m.biologists claim that since the insurance company is the one paying, they are the only people they will talk to. They claim that the house is clean, but you can visibly SEE and SMELL the mold; again, it's like they removed it from one part of the house and put it everywhere else. The insurance company has said that they will do no more because it is "not their fault"---the home inspector should've tested for it originally and did not (the inspector was hired/from the insurance company). The remediation service told my mother that they would like to do more for her, but the microbiologists will not let them, and when we call the m.biologists, the give us the run around and tell us to call the insurance company for information. The insurance company has all the while been saying that my family will be reimbursed for the hotel living and the apartment living and other bills, but so far, no money has been sent. All of our belongings are either in trashbags or are already at the landfill/destroyed. The gutted bathroom is still just that--gutted, there are stains on the walls, toilets, etc.
Please, please, please---if anyone can give any advice, I need it!
I am also going to contact the Board of Insurance regarding the "piss-poor job" that the insurance company has been doing. We have been told the insurance company is "doing the best that" they can, but OBVIOUSLY it has not been enough. The house is ruined...they would have been better off demolishing the whole thing and building another in it's place. We need help/advise/knowledge---Please!

Last edited:

ALawyer

My sense is that the lawyers you spoke with do not know insurance law very well, or are contingency lawyers who only want a HUGE case. IF you offered to pay an insurance lawyer by the hour, you'd get results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">