• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money for old lien not received yet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arfonce

What is the name of your state? ohio

Approximately 15 years ago I sold a property to someone who signed an agreement to make payments to me for it. They then immediately sold it to someone else who didn't make payments to them so they stopped making payments to me. I contacted a lawyer in the county that the purchaser lives in and does business in. Received a judgement lien on a property that they owned and was told that if this property sold I would get my money. I checked,on the internet, to see if the individual that bought my property still had the same property I had the lien on in their name but couldn't find it. So I'm assuming it has been sold. I know I can do a more thorough search than that if needed. Tried to contact the lawyer who had worked for me before, but was told he had left the firm and they didn't know how he could be reached. I have pretty much given-up on getting the money. Last night I heard someone on the radio say that in a situation like this the lienholder had to do some kind of constructive action every so often in order to keep the lien active.

Any thoughts?

Arfonce

danno6925

The voice on the radio was right. Not sure what the timeframe is in OH, but you'll want to renew the lien every so often so it doesn't expire. One way to check on who owns the home is to check the county land records. Anyone in the office should be able to give you a hand finding the owner's name. All you'll need is a tax ID # for the property. Start there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">