• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money from my former spouses ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Catsxb

What is the name of your state? Oregon. I'm filing for divorce. My husband's former wife owes us a substantial amount of money. He hasn't taken her to court for it. Am I entitled to half even if he hasn't opened a case? Can the judge force him to start a case for my half?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Oregon. I'm filing for divorce. My husband's former wife owes us a substantial amount of money. He hasn't taken her to court for it. Am I entitled to half even if he hasn't opened a case? Can the judge force him to start a case for my half?
YOU can take her to court if you want.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Uumm.... what do you think she owes you money for?
That's an excellent question - if this is a debt that is left over from the divorce, then it's not our OP's money now, or even in her upcoming divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">