• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money owed and tenants going back into property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

galeener

We are from Illinois
We had to ask a tenant to leave for several reasons
1.property was turned into a garbage dump.
2. would not pay on time and eventually would not pay at all and still have not paid what is owed.
After they left we had locked the door and had not received their key back. They have since been in the dwelling several times and it has been over a month since the left.
They owe aprox. 3 months rent and three months of 5 dolar a day late fees. What can we do to get the key back, keep them from goinjg back in and finally getting the money that is owed. We have went as far as to padlock the door, and put up no trespassing signs.
Rent was $325 amonth and was not paid on time for over three month the contract stated a $5.00 a day late fee and then it was cleaned for $250.00 and now needs new carpet 1 room of which was just laid before they moved in.
Also they turned off all utilitys when they were supose to just have them turn back over to us. when I went over for the utilities to be turned back on (after paying a $250.00 dep) all the gas in the house and all of the water was turned on full. It is a good thing i arrived early and checked thes or we could have had an explosion and water damage (the hot water heater is electric) could have sparked when utilities were turned back on.
What is our best recourse. The police said they would watch for some one over there but can not do much else.
sorry so long. but have no clue.

HomeGuru

Sounds like you need the services of a professional rental management company to get the property fixed up without delay and rerented again.

W

Wgoodrich

not a lawyer but am a landlord.

Welcome to the landlord / renter world.

Ask for a no trespass order from the police against all renters involved. This will document your possesion of the rental, and make a strong criminal case if they get caught on that property again and cause any damage.

I suggest that you take pictures of the damages, clean up the apartment, repair the damages, and get it rerented.

You can start litigation against the old renter for back rent, damages, etc. Document all costs, and proceedures to get the apartment on line and present it to the court at your hearing.

When you rerent state a time frame in your lease. Rent due the 1st of the month a grace period until the 6th to show leniency for paycheck day fluctuating, then state on the Monday of the third week after the 1st day of the month eviction and back rent plus damages will be filed without reserves. During the signing of the lease this has never caused a reaction to my prospective renters. I stick to that time line to the letter. I limit my losses, limit my emotions of anger, and they have a time limit preset. Renters seem to be time limit oriented. Make yourself a reputation of sticking to the time limit and I suspect you will experience a much happier personal life and be paid much more reliable. You show that you mean business but intend to be fair. Don't variate from that time line.

Good Luck

Wg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">