• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money owed from roommate for property damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rcalh352

Hi, I'm Rebecca from Pennsylvania. I have a "roommate" moving/being evicted and he owes me a little over a grand. I have looked up a couple different things and I think what I need is a promissory note however it is not a loan but money he owes me for property damage. What I need is a definite answer as to which document(s) I need to make a legally bound document that he can not break after he leaves and the steps I need to take to make it legitimate.

quincy

Hi, I'm Rebecca from Pennsylvania. I have a "roommate" moving/being evicted and he owes me a little over a grand. I have looked up a couple different things and I think what I need is a promissory note however it is not a loan but money he owes me for property damage. What I need is a definite answer as to which document(s) I need to make a legally bound document that he can not break after he leaves and the steps I need to take to make it legitimate.
You want your departing roommate to sign a document saying he owes you $1000+ for damages to the rental unit?

Why is the roommate being evicted? Nonpayment of rent?

Rcalh352

I apologise I didn't explain this very well because there's a longer back story to it.

This was my original post on an eviction notice which I am currently working on. And wanted to know the appropriate paperwork for this as well.

"Hi, I'm from Pennsylvania and I'm very new to the world of laws and provisions and such. I have an issue that I want to go about the proper way of handling but I can't figure out how that is. In May I was asked by a friend to allow a 20 y/o male to come live with me because of circumstances that were family related. I felt bad being as I lived alone in a pretty large 2 bedroom apartment/house and I could use the extra income, so I let him move in. I asked my landlord whom I know personally and am decently close to if it was ok for me to let him live there and she agreed, however no papers were ever signed and he is not on my lease. Since he has moved in his room has been utterly disgusting with trash, food, cat urine, and barely a walkway. Our situation keeps getting worse and his cat has completely ruined the room he lives in with urine as well as multiple other things that I own. It's gotten to the point where I need him to leave. My question is how would I go about doing that? Does he need 30 days notice or papers served? I am more than willing to bring my landlord in on this and she'd be more than willing to sign papers and force him to go as well. I just need to know where to start. I would really appreciate any help/advise you can give me."

I was told he is technically my tenant and this is property damage I will have to take care of.

Litigator22

First things first and the first is knowing what property has been damaged? Yours or the landlord's?

If not your property, on what basis are you claiming the right to be compensated? Because you and the roommate are jointly liable to the landlord who has yet to be compensated for the loss, or because you have reimbursed the landlord for his loss and are seeking contribution from the erstwhile roommate?

As to creating an offer that cannot be broken you will need to consult the likes of a Mario Puzo and a Francis Ford Coppola.

I won't attempt to open the can of worms of who is bringing about the eviction of the roommate and its legal and practical consequences; none of which appear to be favorable to you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/destructive-roommate.657184/

You wait until he's left to assess the damage beyond normal wear and tear. You take lots of pictures to document the damages. You then itemize the damages beyond wear and tear and the cost to repair those damages and send a copy to him (demanding that he reimburse you for those damages, or you'll be taking him to small claims court.

You show no evidence of having heeded previous advice, or looking up anything yourself.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
First things first and the first is knowing what property has been damaged? Yours or the landlord's?

If not your property, on what basis are you claiming the right to be compensated? Because you and the roommate are jointly liable to the landlord who has yet to be compensated for the loss, or because you have reimbursed the landlord for his loss and are seeking contribution from the erstwhile roommate?

As to creating an offer that cannot be broken you will need to consult the likes of a Mario Puzo and a Francis Ford Coppola.

I won't attempt to open the can of worms of who is bringing about the eviction of the roommate and its legal and practical consequences; none of which appear to be favorable to you.
Read her other thread.

Rebecca has been subletting to a slob. She'd like to stay on the landlady's good side.

P.S. Not that I disagree, but the 20 year old entitled brat would not recognize an offer that he can't refuse.

quincy

I apologize for not looking at the posting history before responding.

Rcalh352, it is preferred on this forum that all related questions are kept to a single thread. You will not get different or better advice and information by creating several threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">