• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charlie_girl

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

long story short...

owner cut my hours...said i was missing too many days.
in a 3 week period i took my week vacation that i had coming...took 4 personal days which manager approved...got sick & called off 2 days.
missing too many days was never a issue...
since the owner gave me no notice that i would get my hours cut...i gave him no notice...i quit.

i did not apply for a job with this business...they came to me. they knew my reputation in the area...they called me 5 times within a 4 month period. i finally said yes. i worked there for 18 months.
it has been 6 months since i quit...

the business continues to use my name on their menu and website.
the business owes me money.
it was never written anywhere but all new employees are verbally told about "the christmas bonus"
and i quote..."we call it a christmas bonus...but it`s not really a bonus...it`s your money...you worked for it...we just set it aside all year so you have extra money for the holidays. so in actuallity you make .25 cents more per hour than what your check says every week. we take that .25 cents per hour & set it aside for "the christmas bonus".

i want my name removed from their menu and website.
and i want my "christmas bonus" money.

do i have any rights here?!!
thanks for your time!
charlie_girl

C

CheeseBlotto

charlie_girl said:
i want my name removed from their menu and website.
In what context is your name being used?

charlie_girl said:
and i want my "christmas bonus" money.
I want a blonde with big thingies, but we're both likely going to be disappointed

charlie_girl

CheeseBlotto said:
In what context is your name being used?

i am a chef with a very unique first name...
well known throughout the town & surrounding towns.
they continue to use my name on their menu...i can only assume it is either to let customers believe that i am still working there or that they have my recipes (which they dont)

I want a blonde with big thingies, but we're both likely going to be disappointed
i`m disappointed with your attempt at humor.
your comment is not amusing.

C

CheeseBlotto

charlie_girl said:
i`m disappointed with your attempt at humor.
your comment is not amusing.
Not amused AND not going to get that bonus.

You're really having a lousy time, aren't you?

Last edited:

charlie_girl

CheeseBlotto said:
Not amused AND not going to get that bonus.

You're really having a lousy time, aren't you?
is there anyone on this site willing to give me advice/answers besides this sarcastic cheesehead?

pattytx

What does the company owe you money for? Wages? Expenses? Were you an employee or an independent contractor?

What are the conditions under which you will receive the "Christmas bonus"? Is there anything that states that you must be employed on a certain date to receive it? This is very common.

charlie_girl

pattytx said:
What does the company owe you money for? Wages? Expenses? Were you an employee or an independent contractor?

What are the conditions under which you will receive the "Christmas bonus"? Is there anything that states that you must be employed on a certain date to receive it? This is very common.
hi patty,

i was an employee.
i believe these are wages due...
"we call it a christmas bonus...but it`s not really a bonus...it`s your money...you worked for it...we just set it aside all year so you have extra money for the holidays. so in actuallity you make .25 cents more per hour than what your check says every week. we take that .25 cents per hour & set it aside for "the christmas bonus".
this was verbal...no conditions were stated...nothing put into writing.
this verbal agreement has been made with present and past employees.
is this legal?
is it legal for them to continue to use my name?
thanks for your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'll let Patty answer the wage question.

In what way are they using your name? In sales materials? As a testimonial? Or have they simply neglected to remove your name from the company directory?

It might make a difference.

charlie_girl

cbg said:
I'll let Patty answer the wage question.

In what way are they using your name? In sales materials? As a testimonial? Or have they simply neglected to remove your name from the company directory?

It might make a difference.
hi cbg,
i am a chef with a very unique first name...
well known throughout the town & surrounding towns.
they continue to use my name on their menu...
example:
charlie_girls homemade blah blah blah.
the same thing is listed on their website.
and i have seen the same on their advertisements in the hometown newspaper.
thanks for your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If they are continuing to use your recipe for these items, then they can legitimately indicate that these are "yours" on their menu and website.

pattytx

You can inquire of the Pennsylvania Dept. of Labor, but I doubt that, without a written contract, the DOL will consider your Christmas "bonus" as vested wages since, theoretically, even though there has been a practice of this is the past, there is no legal obligation for the employer to continue the practice; they would be perfectly within their rights to cancel the "bonus" at any time.

But, call the state DOL if you like and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">