• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JLB20

At the time, the man I had been dating, who lives in Arizona, offered to loan me a great deal of money because I couldn't afford to pay my own tuition. After a great deal of thought, I agreed, as long as he would let me pay him back. Since then, the relationship ended and I have promised to send him the money as soon as I have it saved up. He continually harasses me and threatens to take me to court if I don't send him his money. I never signed anything, and we never dicussed a date that I had to pay him back by. My first question is, do I need to hire a lawyer, which I can't afford, or do I even need to worry? When he calls to threaten me, he calls me names, and I continually tell him to stop calling, so he sends me nasty e-mails, still calling me horrible names. I have asked him to stop the name calling, but he doesn't, so I have told him for every name he calls me, I'm deducting $10.00 off the amount I owe him. I have deducted $130.00 from my debt to him because of the names. My second question is can he take me to court for this? I see it as "emotional distress"
and "harassment." My last question is can he charge me "interest" on the money I owe him? I appreciate any advice you might have.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">