• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money sent to me by mistake.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida

I worked for a company that put aside stock for me. After 5 years I was fully vested and the stock was mine. Another year later, I left the company and was notified that I had to rollover or take a payout of my stock. I chose the payment and they sent me the money. Eight years later, I get a notice in the mail saying they are cleaning out thier files and mailing payouts to all who did not receive them. I did not return the forms to make a claim. I was still sent a check for $2000. Two months later, I received a certified letter stating that the check was sent by mistake and they needed the money back. They are willing to work out a payment plan. What is the legal course of action for the company that sent the money by mistake? Can they use a debt collector service and damage my credit?


Senior Member
Can they use a debt collector service and damage my credit?
If you don't agree to the payment plan, yes. Or worse, you get sued and have to pay interest, court costs and attorney fees too.

Who's Liable?

Senior Member
If that money was not legally yours, then yes, the can demand the money back and they will go through what is necessary to recover those funds...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential