• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Month to Month Sample Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hall92

Hello All,

I’m looking a for simple 30 day month to month request letter to give to my landlord. My lease is up on the 29th of January and I need to provide my landlord with a letter stating that I would like to terminate my annual lease and switch to a month to month lease. Could someone please help me with this letter. I’m starting to stress over it.

Thanks in advance!

quincy

Thank you for providing your state name.

We cannot help you draft a letter. You should be able to state in simple terms, however, what you have stated here, make 3 copies, then sign and date it, have your landlord sign and date it, keep a copy, have your landlord keep a copy. Secure one copy.

I find it odd that YOU are being asked to draft anything. That is typically the job of the landlord.

FarmerJ

If you are looking at moving out of the area in the future and don't want to be tied to a longer term lease you are free to write the LL a on real paper letter now , telling the LL you will not be able to renew a longer term lease and would like to know now if it is possible to enter a shorter term lease such as month to month with say a 60 day notice from you should you. WHY 60 days , well a lot of landlords don't care to have vacancy during the winter months OR try to offer a higher monthly rent in exchange to be month to month . Your LL doesn't have to accept either but you are free to try and in the end don't just stay on and break a new lease. If you get the letter to the landlord this far ahead there are better odds the LL might be more receptive to shorter term lease with you .

quincy

It might be important to note that you do NOT have to pay for a form. You can visit a local landlord/tenant legal aid clinic for FREE help in drafting a letter, if you find you need assistance.

The reason I say this is that there are several commercial sites offering forms for sale.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello All,

I’m looking a for simple 30 day month to month request letter to give to my landlord. My lease is up on the 29th of January and I need to provide my landlord with a letter stating that I would like to terminate my annual lease and switch to a month to month lease. Could someone please help me with this letter. I’m starting to stress over it.

Thanks in advance!
How about: "My lease is up on the 29th of January. I would like to terminate my annual lease and switch to a month to month lease"

LdiJ

Hello All,

Thanks in advance!
Your lease is up on the 29th. I don't think that you need to state that you want to terminate your lease. I think that you should say something along the lines of: My lease is up on the 29th of January and I would like to stay on a month to month basis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">